Through My Lens

Friday, January 1, 2010

I Survived Christmas 2009

Hello friends. Long time no write to you! I have made a few New Year's resolutions, namely quitting Twitter so that I can refocus again on my blog and not leave you all waiting around for nothing. I have also decided to get better at menu planning and helping Huz cook, which probably means I'll neglect my other blog less too. (But I'm not promising on that one.)

So, Christmas. How was yours? I have mixed feelings about mine. Suffice to say there was family drama when I wanted none. [Content deleted due to feeling badly for hurting family members.] Also, Claire was not sleeping well the entire time and we're still trying to get her back on schedule without sobbing for us to stay sitting in her room as she falls asleep - some habits die hard.

The best part of the vacation was actually our vacation from our vacation. Huz and I went off by ourselves (sans kid - thank you, mother!) for 2 nights and 3 days to Vail, Colorado to celebrate our 15th anniversary. During that time we forgot that we live on one income and one student loan and just had fun. I'm trying not to regret it now, after balancing the checking account, but, really, it was worth it.

Getting an ear infection a few days before our Vail vacation, Huz was advised not to go skiing, so I convinced him to have a spa day with me instead. He actually agreed! We enjoyed our first ever couple's massage, ate lunch together in bathrobes and slippers in the 'sanctuary' room (complete with lounging chairs, soothing music and a huge stone fireplace in the center of the room), then we went for a soak in the jacuzzi and steam room before ending our 4 hours of spa bliss in the mountains. Beats skiing any day if you ask me!

We also enjoyed two very nice meals at fancy restaurants: Kelly Liken and Larkspur. I wore my new holiday dress (in indigo, over one shoulder) to the first place and had Huz practically worshiping me the entire night, which felt great, even though I was freezing. We enjoyed our bed and breakfast very much - from the architecture in our room (exposed beams, stone fireplace and stone jacuzzi) to the cool hostesses who we really liked. We'll definitely be back someday.

We're glad to be home for some sense of normalcy, as traveling is always hard, especially with a small child. I will go back again next year, of course, but I hope to go with some more realistic expectations. I love my family, but we don't always get along. Isn't that just how it is? It all makes me wonder about having a second child. I really have been thinking about it lately, not only because people start to pressure you at this point ("when are you going to get me a grandson?!") but mostly because I want Claire to have a companion. There's no guarantee that if she has a sibling that they'll even get along (i.e. me and mine), but maybe they'll be best friends. And certainly they won't ever be without family after Huz and I pass away. I just don't know how to come to the decision with so many other variables (Huz getting a job, my ability to keep sanity with more than one, finances, housing, etc. etc.).

One thing I know: I'm grateful for my family, even if they drive me crazy, and I'm especially grateful for my family of friends and my immediate family. Huz and Claire? I don't know what I'd do without you.

Happy New Year everyone!

Posted by Bird On A Line @ 7:45 PM
|

My Food Blog

Quesadillas and Drinks

Watching

Weeds
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
United States of Tara
So You Think You Can Dance
True Blood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

Book Reading

Am


Was

Julie and Julia
Caramelo
Thirteenth Tale
Kite Runner
No Country For Old Men
The Road
What To Expect When You're Expecting
Water for Elephants
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Baby Wise
Norwegian Wood
Rabbit Redux
Rabbit, Run
Middlesex
On Beauty
Cement Garden
Eat, Pray, Love
Cute, Quaint, Hungry and Romantic: The Aesthetics of Consumerism
The History of Love
Pure Style Living
All The Names
Collage Discovery Workshop
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World
Fugitive Pieces
Couples
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
A 90 Day Guide...
The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Fast Food Nation
The Reader
Angel's World
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Black Dogs
Enduring Love
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Atonement
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Postcards

Blog Reading


Blissful
Blue Poppy
Bookish Bent
The Burkerts 3
Colors of My Mind
Cool Hunter
The Craziness We Call Life
Creative Musings
Doahleigh
Dooce
Fickle Feline
Finslippy
The Forth Clan
Geek's Pensieve
Greeblemonkey
Green Genes
Holly Needs a Hobby
I Pretty Much Hate Everything
Inevitably Keely
Isoglossia
Jenski
Just Jenn
Mighty Girl
Mimi Smartypants
Modern Cottage
Mothers of Invention
My Head is Full of Stuffing
Nienie Dialogues
Pandlabroad
Possum Holler Press
Quarter Life Crisis
Sarcomical
Say It, Don't Spray It
Schmutzie
Self Passage
So Not Cool
Super Hero Journal
Tea and Brie
Three Girls and a Guy
Unfogged
Waiter Rant
Who Knew?
Whoorl
Wise Craft
Work It, Mom
You Go Grrrl

Kid Related


Baby Cheapskate
Cool Mom Picks
Green Mom Finds
Project Nursery/
Rookie Moms
The Soft Landing

Home Style


Apartment Therapy
Design Sponge
Shelterrific

Art/Photography


Amy Ruppel
Boho Photography
Chromasia
Daily Dose of Imagery
Deceptive Media
Decor 8
Little Purple Cow Photography
Non dairy Diary
Not Martha
Photo Junkie
Piddleloop
Three Potato Four
Shutter Sisters
STC Craft
Tiny Showcase

Food


101 Cookbooks
Becks & Posh
Bitten
Chocolate and Zucchini
Chow
David Lebovitz
Delicious Days
The Domestic Goddess
Food Beam
My Vintage Kitchen
Orangette
The Perfect Pantry
The Post Punk Kitchen
Serious Eats
Smitten Kitchen
Vegan Yum Yum