Saturday, February 28, 2009
Huz and I arrived at the hospital promptly at 10:00a.m. for my appointment with the Deadly Pill served in a sealed iron vessel only to wait an hour and forty five minutes for anything to finally happen. I guess that's to be expected in a hospital. I just hope that if I coded they would be more prompt.
We sat in a room that had tons of warning signs on the door - danger! peligro! radioactive woman inside! - and that was freezing for almost 2 hours. We talked about Claire, about Huz's dissertation, about my nervousness involved with intentionally swallowing radioactive material, and then played some thumb war. Finally, two nurses - Sarah and Jeanette - came in wheeling a cart with the sealed lead capsule on it. I had to hug Huz goodbye at this point and he left. Sarah went over the precautions that a resident had already thoroughly gone over with me (stay 3 feet away from everyone for the first 3 days and children or pregnant women for a week, drink a lot of water and flush twice when you go, etc.), handed me some bottled water, and proceeded to open the capsule. They didn't have moonsuits on - just a pair of latex gloves. Sarah handed me a small plastic vial that had 2 blue and white pills in it and told me to swallow them. I did and instantly felt strange. I don't know how to describe it other than feeling slightly tingly all over and my vision went weird for a minute. Sarah and Jeanette stayed chatting with me for 10 minutes (at a 3 foot distance from me) and then Jeanette came over with a yard stick and put it on my belly and with her other hand operated the geiger counter to get my radiation levels. I guess it was doing it's thing because she said they were good numbers. Then they said goodbye and I left. Walking through the hospital waiting room and riding the elevator to the parking garage was strange because I was trying to stay 3 feet away from everyone I ran into - especially children. I felt like a leper or something.
I came to my temporary home, ate some fruit that my host left in my bedroom (was the first food I had all day) and watched a funny movie in bed. I never watch comedies because they are usually just really dumb, which this one was, but I found it hilarious and perfect for being newly radioactive, kind of freaked out, and away from my family. It was Step Brothers with Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. My favorite line was Reilly's who when interviewing for a job said, "I really, really need a job. I will take any position as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money. Or bear traps. Those are my two buggaboos."
Oh my. So funny.
I retired to my bedroom early and took a shower to wash off any radioactive sweat (I'm staying in an older couple's home and their house is on the hot side) and then settled in to ready my Julie and Julie book before watching BSG at 9:00. I fell asleep at 8:30 and woke up at 9:40. Dang it. I hope Huz keeps BSG on Tivo for me. So I guess you could say going nuclear makes you tired.
I woke up at 6:00 with a really dry mouth (one of the side effects is damage to the salivary glands), drank some water, and went back to bed resolved to sleep in while I have the chance. I've had an alarm clock named Claire Bear who rarely lets us sleep past 7:00 for the last 16 months, so I'm looking forward to sleeping in a bit while on isolation. I couldn't sleep for a while, but finally got another hour and a half. I woke up the second time with pain in my jaw right under my ears. My salivary glands are swollen and sore. I've been gargling baking soda water, sucking on hard candies, and drinking lots of water to help. It's a normal side effect and I hope they ease up and go away soon.
Oh yeah. I'm still on the lame low iodine diet (probably until tomorrow since they said 24-48 hours after the RAI). So I still haven't ordered a pizza for myself yet but am very much looking forward to it.
Signing off for now,