Through My Lens

Monday, October 6, 2008

Diet Shmiet

One thing I've learned since not being able to eat dairy or eggs is that there is a surprising amount of decent food I can eat. For example, the awesome vegan chocolate cupcakes I tried out in preparation for Claire's upcoming birthday. They are really good, especially still warm from the oven with some vegan "buttercream" frosting that I made - using all margarine and no shortening. (Sorry, no pictures. They were eaten too fast. I'll take some at Claire's party in a few weeks.)

I've also learned that bagels taste great again, thanks to this and this. I know, I know. You're thinking, Victoria? Have you lost your mind? Imitation cream cheese with TOFU in it!? I'm not lying, though, it's actually pretty good. Maybe it's because I've forgotten how good the real thing is, I don't know.

Don't let me fool you. I haven't been the best dieter I can be. I cheated today when my coworker and I drove back from a retreat and she stopped at McDonald's for an ice cream cone. I just HAD to have one. It's the first time I found myself hoping there were more artificial ingredients than real ones (in this case dairy). Oy.

Travel Shmavel

So, I'm jealous. REALLY jealous. Huz is leaving this week to go to England. As in the country. While I'm incredibly proud of him - he's going because he was invited to read an academic paper he wrote at a university conference - I'm also hesitant about being a single parent for 5 days AND extremely jealous that I'm not going to Europe with him. If we had a babysitter for a week and money to pay for my ticket there'd have been no question, but we don't and we don't. I had it all worked out with my boss that I'll take a personal day on one of the days that Claire isn't in daycare, work a shorter day on Friday when she is (it's only from 9-2), and then work from home on Monday when she's in daycare again, BUT I found out today that because Metro Schools are closed on Friday (why!? it's not a holiday!) that they will be too. Grrreeeeeaaaatttt. Not only am I a single parent, but now I have to figure out what to do with my kid while I'm supposed to be at work. Anyone? Anyone?

Party Shmarty

Anyone have any first birthday party ideas? So far,I've planned to make cupcakes. That's it. I have no idea what else I'm going to serve, how to decorate, if I should pick a "theme" or not (I'm definitely leaning towards NO since she won't remember it anyway). I'm thinking more of a laid back, relaxed time with friends and their kids and marveling in the fact that Claire isn't a baby anymore. Taking lots of pictures of her eating cake for the first time is a MUST. Other than that, I'm kind of at a loss since I've never done this before.

Posted by Bird On A Line @ 7:45 PM
|

My Food Blog

Quesadillas and Drinks

Watching

Weeds
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
United States of Tara
So You Think You Can Dance
True Blood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

Book Reading

Am


Was

Julie and Julia
Caramelo
Thirteenth Tale
Kite Runner
No Country For Old Men
The Road
What To Expect When You're Expecting
Water for Elephants
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Baby Wise
Norwegian Wood
Rabbit Redux
Rabbit, Run
Middlesex
On Beauty
Cement Garden
Eat, Pray, Love
Cute, Quaint, Hungry and Romantic: The Aesthetics of Consumerism
The History of Love
Pure Style Living
All The Names
Collage Discovery Workshop
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World
Fugitive Pieces
Couples
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
A 90 Day Guide...
The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Fast Food Nation
The Reader
Angel's World
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Black Dogs
Enduring Love
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Atonement
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Postcards

Blog Reading


Blissful
Blue Poppy
Bookish Bent
The Burkerts 3
Colors of My Mind
Cool Hunter
The Craziness We Call Life
Creative Musings
Doahleigh
Dooce
Fickle Feline
Finslippy
The Forth Clan
Geek's Pensieve
Greeblemonkey
Green Genes
Holly Needs a Hobby
I Pretty Much Hate Everything
Inevitably Keely
Isoglossia
Jenski
Just Jenn
Mighty Girl
Mimi Smartypants
Modern Cottage
Mothers of Invention
My Head is Full of Stuffing
Nienie Dialogues
Pandlabroad
Possum Holler Press
Quarter Life Crisis
Sarcomical
Say It, Don't Spray It
Schmutzie
Self Passage
So Not Cool
Super Hero Journal
Tea and Brie
Three Girls and a Guy
Unfogged
Waiter Rant
Who Knew?
Whoorl
Wise Craft
Work It, Mom
You Go Grrrl

Kid Related


Baby Cheapskate
Cool Mom Picks
Green Mom Finds
Project Nursery/
Rookie Moms
The Soft Landing

Home Style


Apartment Therapy
Design Sponge
Shelterrific

Art/Photography


Amy Ruppel
Boho Photography
Chromasia
Daily Dose of Imagery
Deceptive Media
Decor 8
Little Purple Cow Photography
Non dairy Diary
Not Martha
Photo Junkie
Piddleloop
Three Potato Four
Shutter Sisters
STC Craft
Tiny Showcase

Food


101 Cookbooks
Becks & Posh
Bitten
Chocolate and Zucchini
Chow
David Lebovitz
Delicious Days
The Domestic Goddess
Food Beam
My Vintage Kitchen
Orangette
The Perfect Pantry
The Post Punk Kitchen
Serious Eats
Smitten Kitchen
Vegan Yum Yum