Through My Lens

Friday, February 9, 2007

The 6 Step Way To Have a Good Ending To a Bad Week

I've had a bad week. Work has sucked ass and I'm stressed out with the upcoming house purchase and all the work that accompanies that, plus it's day 46 and no aunt has visited me yet. How does one put a happy ending on a sucky week? They take a mental health day, that's how.

Here's what that looks like:

1. Huz and I were both in the mood for some authentic southern BBQ last night so we looked up some local joints and went to try out the one with the coolest name ever, Mothership BBQ. We drove past it a few times because it's literally just a small house on a block full of other small houses, but when we went inside we were taken aback. It was an eclectic place, to say the least, and we had it all to ourselves. The dark green walls were covered with album covers from the 70s and, man oh man, were there some serious fashion violations from the great decade of my birth. Shudder. We had many a laugh at the pictures of long, feather-haired men in bell bottoms and ladies in Jane Fonda-esque workout garb (oh? You don't know what that looks like? Don't you remember this post?). The tables and chairs were all mis-matchy and obviously picked up on the cheap at thrift stores, so the ambiance was seriously lacking (as the owner clearly knew, because one of the first things he said to us was, "Remember! We're taking reservations for Valentine's Day...heh, heh...I mean, check out that dining room!") but it didn't matter in the slightest. Nope. Because that pulled pork sandwich, macaroni and cheese, and roasted cinnamon apples kicked major ass my friend. Anthony Bourdain would have loved the place, if only it weren't for the no smoking policy.

2. I called in sick today and took a well-deserved, if I do say so myself, day off.

3. After calling in sick, I promptly went to the kitchen and made myself some walnut Belgian waffles. Delish!

4. I ran a bunch of errands that I normally would have crammed into a Saturday which tends to suck because a.) the roads are always busy on Saturdays and b.) I feel like I spend half of my weekend doing errands. But! Not today! Because today is a bonus day to my weekend! Because I'm bad and took the day off! Woot! (Feeling real guilty here, can you tell?)

Anyway, back to my errands: I brought my wedding ring and the lovely ring my grandmother gave me to the jeweler's to get an official appraisal done (because I have no paperwork for either and now that I'm going to be a grown up homeowner and all, I figured it would be a good thing to give to the homeowner's insurance company if, god forbid, anything were to happen to them); I ran to the post office and mailed a book we sold online; and I picked up my hot new pair of jeans that I got hemmed (I'm short you know) and dropped off another pair of pants for hemming.

DSC_0013

Nice hemming job, huh? I found a place nearby that puts the original hem back on, which looks great on jeans.

5. Then I found yet another cool local place to frequent. It's (drum roll please) a shoe store. A cheap, but great brand-name-carrying shoe store. Ladies! Do you know how cool this is? It's like a store full of multiple O's! Hello heaven! I bought 3 shoes for the price of one, not kidding. Here they are.

A pair of tall black wedge boots to replace the cribbage board boots by famous shoe designer Neville Winters.

DSC_0021

Nice, eh? They were the unbelievable price of (you won't believe it) $9! One O down, two to go.

The next are a lovely pair of Nine West shoes to wear with dress pants at work. They are all leather and fit like a glove. Priced at $24.99 they were a steal.

DSC_0025

And finally we have a pair of fun, wedge cut espadrilles for summer. These are Liz Claiborne's and were a mere $21.99. (Ignore the ugly toenails with remnants of the red nail polish from Christmas please. In my defense: it's winter and nobody sees them but me. That is, until I take a picture of them and post it on the Internet.)

DSC_0033DSC_0032

6. After this successful shoe shopping, I went out with a friend for lunch. It's a place I've been meaning to try for a while; I had a mighty tasty tuna melt with smoked mozzarella on wheat and a yummy, orangey spiced iced tea. Even better, my friend paid for the meal. Thanks Em! Then we went and she gave me a tour of the home she and her husband just bought. It's a great historical house with 9 foot ceilings, hardwood floors, a giant whirlpool bathtub, and glass doorknobs - a perfect blend of old and new. And they'll live only about 2 miles away from us once we move to our place. Very cool.

So that, my friends, is how to give a happy ending to a crappy week.

Posted by Bird On A Line @ 3:41 PM
|

My Food Blog

Quesadillas and Drinks

Watching

Weeds
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
United States of Tara
So You Think You Can Dance
True Blood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

Book Reading

Am


Was

Julie and Julia
Caramelo
Thirteenth Tale
Kite Runner
No Country For Old Men
The Road
What To Expect When You're Expecting
Water for Elephants
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Baby Wise
Norwegian Wood
Rabbit Redux
Rabbit, Run
Middlesex
On Beauty
Cement Garden
Eat, Pray, Love
Cute, Quaint, Hungry and Romantic: The Aesthetics of Consumerism
The History of Love
Pure Style Living
All The Names
Collage Discovery Workshop
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World
Fugitive Pieces
Couples
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
A 90 Day Guide...
The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Fast Food Nation
The Reader
Angel's World
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Black Dogs
Enduring Love
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Atonement
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Postcards

Blog Reading


Blissful
Blue Poppy
Bookish Bent
The Burkerts 3
Colors of My Mind
Cool Hunter
The Craziness We Call Life
Creative Musings
Doahleigh
Dooce
Fickle Feline
Finslippy
The Forth Clan
Geek's Pensieve
Greeblemonkey
Green Genes
Holly Needs a Hobby
I Pretty Much Hate Everything
Inevitably Keely
Isoglossia
Jenski
Just Jenn
Mighty Girl
Mimi Smartypants
Modern Cottage
Mothers of Invention
My Head is Full of Stuffing
Nienie Dialogues
Pandlabroad
Possum Holler Press
Quarter Life Crisis
Sarcomical
Say It, Don't Spray It
Schmutzie
Self Passage
So Not Cool
Super Hero Journal
Tea and Brie
Three Girls and a Guy
Unfogged
Waiter Rant
Who Knew?
Whoorl
Wise Craft
Work It, Mom
You Go Grrrl

Kid Related


Baby Cheapskate
Cool Mom Picks
Green Mom Finds
Project Nursery/
Rookie Moms
The Soft Landing

Home Style


Apartment Therapy
Design Sponge
Shelterrific

Art/Photography


Amy Ruppel
Boho Photography
Chromasia
Daily Dose of Imagery
Deceptive Media
Decor 8
Little Purple Cow Photography
Non dairy Diary
Not Martha
Photo Junkie
Piddleloop
Three Potato Four
Shutter Sisters
STC Craft
Tiny Showcase

Food


101 Cookbooks
Becks & Posh
Bitten
Chocolate and Zucchini
Chow
David Lebovitz
Delicious Days
The Domestic Goddess
Food Beam
My Vintage Kitchen
Orangette
The Perfect Pantry
The Post Punk Kitchen
Serious Eats
Smitten Kitchen
Vegan Yum Yum