Through My Lens

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

This and That

Scene: Cold, drizzly afternoon. Driving through a bad neighborhood and the check engine light goes on...again.

Wha? Oh, hello! I was just thinking about yesterday. When I got off from work I had an appointment to meet a friend. She teaches a creative writing class at a local recovery house for women. It's called Magdeline House and it serves women who have a history of drug addiction and prostitution, helping them to recover and teaching them some valuable working skills. I volunteered to take some photographs of the women who will be presenting their poems at a fund raiser next month. Needless to say, it was in a not-so-nice part of town and the engine light flashed on (third time in four months), which was a bit freaky but I survived. Some of the pictures came out really well - others were just okay. The lighting inside was really dim and it was raining out, so at first I did them all inside and wasn't too happy with them. Eventually I gained confidence and asked the women to go outside where the natural lighting would be far superior, promising to be quick so they wouldn't get too wet.

comingup2DSC_0061megsmileDSC_0093DSC_0115DSC_0177

What else? I interviewed twice for a job the week before last. Nothing too exciting, but a job on campus that offers more room for growth than my current one (I'm at the top of my pay scale already). I had one interview and then an immediate call back with the Boss the next day, but then nothing for over a week. Not a confidence booster, that.

This weekend is supposed to be the big marathon weekend for Huz - something he's been working really hard on for the last few months, only the last 20 mile run left him with a calf that is less than ideal for a race. He's been in pain for almost 2 weeks and I'm so very sad for him. He's going to test it out on a run on Friday and decide if he can run his first marathon or not. (If not, I regret that I won't be able to meet you Lisa.)

It actually got cold here for a few days - going down into the 40s at night. This reminded me of how badly I want my house to have central heating and air. Instead, we have these horrible old electric heaters in the walls that turn bright red when on and are very dangerous. On top of that, they don't heat the house - just the wall they are on. So we went out and bought an oil-filled radiator to see if that would be better over the winter. Works like a charm!

Finally, I've been quiet on the conception topic. Basically, I'm stressing about it and need to stop talking about it for a time. While I have family support and enthusiasm, this can sometimes feel overwhelming as the expectations are that I'll be pregnant by the time I go home for the holidays. I also find myself in a place where 2 other couples very close to us are trying at the same time and while this could be a good thing, a community for all of us when it happens, it feels like a competition at times, intentional or not. I have been off the Pill for 6 months and because I've been charting, I know that I've only ovulated once during that time. I decided to stop charting last week because this has been a stressor for me too - each time the temp goes up and then crashes back down the next morning I get depressed. So, we will continue to try, but we're not going to talk about it with our friends and I'm going to stop obsessing over my temperature. Also, I'm starting a yoga class tonight to de-stress myself. Hopefully all of these things will create a relaxed and happy body so that it can do what it's supposed to do.

Posted by Bird On A Line @ 9:34 AM
|

My Food Blog

Quesadillas and Drinks

Watching

Weeds
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
United States of Tara
So You Think You Can Dance
True Blood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

Book Reading

Am


Was

Julie and Julia
Caramelo
Thirteenth Tale
Kite Runner
No Country For Old Men
The Road
What To Expect When You're Expecting
Water for Elephants
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Baby Wise
Norwegian Wood
Rabbit Redux
Rabbit, Run
Middlesex
On Beauty
Cement Garden
Eat, Pray, Love
Cute, Quaint, Hungry and Romantic: The Aesthetics of Consumerism
The History of Love
Pure Style Living
All The Names
Collage Discovery Workshop
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World
Fugitive Pieces
Couples
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
A 90 Day Guide...
The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Fast Food Nation
The Reader
Angel's World
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Black Dogs
Enduring Love
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Atonement
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Postcards

Blog Reading


Blissful
Blue Poppy
Bookish Bent
The Burkerts 3
Colors of My Mind
Cool Hunter
The Craziness We Call Life
Creative Musings
Doahleigh
Dooce
Fickle Feline
Finslippy
The Forth Clan
Geek's Pensieve
Greeblemonkey
Green Genes
Holly Needs a Hobby
I Pretty Much Hate Everything
Inevitably Keely
Isoglossia
Jenski
Just Jenn
Mighty Girl
Mimi Smartypants
Modern Cottage
Mothers of Invention
My Head is Full of Stuffing
Nienie Dialogues
Pandlabroad
Possum Holler Press
Quarter Life Crisis
Sarcomical
Say It, Don't Spray It
Schmutzie
Self Passage
So Not Cool
Super Hero Journal
Tea and Brie
Three Girls and a Guy
Unfogged
Waiter Rant
Who Knew?
Whoorl
Wise Craft
Work It, Mom
You Go Grrrl

Kid Related


Baby Cheapskate
Cool Mom Picks
Green Mom Finds
Project Nursery/
Rookie Moms
The Soft Landing

Home Style


Apartment Therapy
Design Sponge
Shelterrific

Art/Photography


Amy Ruppel
Boho Photography
Chromasia
Daily Dose of Imagery
Deceptive Media
Decor 8
Little Purple Cow Photography
Non dairy Diary
Not Martha
Photo Junkie
Piddleloop
Three Potato Four
Shutter Sisters
STC Craft
Tiny Showcase

Food


101 Cookbooks
Becks & Posh
Bitten
Chocolate and Zucchini
Chow
David Lebovitz
Delicious Days
The Domestic Goddess
Food Beam
My Vintage Kitchen
Orangette
The Perfect Pantry
The Post Punk Kitchen
Serious Eats
Smitten Kitchen
Vegan Yum Yum