Through My Lens

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Unemployment

I came home last night and demanded a stiff drink from Huz. Well, okay, I asked for one, but wasn't going to take no for an answer. See, I had two interviews yesterday and it was pretty crazy. First, I had a bright and early 8 a.m. interview, so I had to get up all early (which I'm not used to any more) to get ready and to find the place. As I was pulling up to the parking lot of the place at 7:50 a.m., my cell phone rang. It was the recruiting company (an outside company that the place I was interviewing at hired to find employees) who said that there was a scheduling mistake and could I turn around and go home while she figured out when to reschedule the interview. Sigh. So, I turned around and started back home (about a 10-15 minute drive using the highway). When I was about 2 blocks from my house my cell phone rang again. It was the recruiter asking me to turn around and go back and just be ready so that she could try to reschedule the interview right away. Okaaaay. Getting a little annoyed (unbeknownst to her, of course, to whom I was being very kind and forgiving - after all, I'm at her mercy for a paycheck, right!?), I turned around and drove back. I had just parked in the visitor's parking again when she called me and said that it was now rescheduled for 1:00 p.m. My God. Working with a third party to land a job is a major pain in the ass! I went home and got out of my heels and nice clothes for about an hour and a half before putting them back on again for my interview at Vanderbilt. I was there for an hour and a half and met with three different people: the Office Manager, the Director, and the Events Planner who I would be assisting if I got the job. Well, it all went well except for the frustrating fact that the first one said I was qualified to apply for the better position of Events Planner that they had available starting next week (after all I did this for 3 years at Huz's graduate school), while the middle one said, no, I wasn't qualified for it because I'm not used to such a back-to-back event calendar, while the third one said I was over-qualified for the job I was applying for. Good Lord, people! Make up your mind! I left there not at all sure I wanted the job anymore because of all the different impressions they gave me and I was also convinced that I was in fact over-qualified to simply assist someone plan an event (but desperate for a job, people). It was the overtime required that made me email them this morning asking to rescind my resume for the position, however. They wanted this position to work evenings and weekends on an average of 96 hours every two weeks. Um, yeah. I'd like to see Huz every now and then and have a life outside of work. Thanks. (Also, this position wasn't even salary, but hourly, and health insurance wouldn't begin until 90 days AFTER I started. Bye bye.)

I went to Starbucks afterwards and had an iced (soy) latte and a scone for lunch before my next interview. At this one, I was there for an unbelievable 3 1/2 hours and met with 6 (SIX!) people! I met with HR, with my potential supervisor, with the President of the division, with a Director under my potential supervisor, with an Assistant Vice President under my potential supervisor, with the person I would be replacing, and then again with my potential supervisor (it was a potential supervisor sandwich). OH.MY.GAWD. Was I exhausted at the end of that! YOU try impressing 6 different people for 3 1/2 hours - it's pretty tiring! All in all, however, I thought it went really well. All of the people were nice and comfortable to be around. The corporation has a nice feel to it and is actually community-minded, which is a rarity. The job is not glamorous, but I think I would be happy working with the batch of people I met and I think it pays pretty decently (of course, this is according to the recruiting company I went through and I've already demonstrated how dumb they are). So, I await a call back. Fingers crossed.

My unemployed motto is: Thank God for Visa and for Huz, the Stiff Drink Maker Extraordinaire.

Posted by Bird On A Line @ 8:17 AM
|

My Food Blog

Quesadillas and Drinks

Watching

Weeds
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
United States of Tara
So You Think You Can Dance
True Blood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

Book Reading

Am


Was

Julie and Julia
Caramelo
Thirteenth Tale
Kite Runner
No Country For Old Men
The Road
What To Expect When You're Expecting
Water for Elephants
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Baby Wise
Norwegian Wood
Rabbit Redux
Rabbit, Run
Middlesex
On Beauty
Cement Garden
Eat, Pray, Love
Cute, Quaint, Hungry and Romantic: The Aesthetics of Consumerism
The History of Love
Pure Style Living
All The Names
Collage Discovery Workshop
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World
Fugitive Pieces
Couples
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
A 90 Day Guide...
The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Fast Food Nation
The Reader
Angel's World
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Black Dogs
Enduring Love
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Atonement
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Postcards

Blog Reading


Blissful
Blue Poppy
Bookish Bent
The Burkerts 3
Colors of My Mind
Cool Hunter
The Craziness We Call Life
Creative Musings
Doahleigh
Dooce
Fickle Feline
Finslippy
The Forth Clan
Geek's Pensieve
Greeblemonkey
Green Genes
Holly Needs a Hobby
I Pretty Much Hate Everything
Inevitably Keely
Isoglossia
Jenski
Just Jenn
Mighty Girl
Mimi Smartypants
Modern Cottage
Mothers of Invention
My Head is Full of Stuffing
Nienie Dialogues
Pandlabroad
Possum Holler Press
Quarter Life Crisis
Sarcomical
Say It, Don't Spray It
Schmutzie
Self Passage
So Not Cool
Super Hero Journal
Tea and Brie
Three Girls and a Guy
Unfogged
Waiter Rant
Who Knew?
Whoorl
Wise Craft
Work It, Mom
You Go Grrrl

Kid Related


Baby Cheapskate
Cool Mom Picks
Green Mom Finds
Project Nursery/
Rookie Moms
The Soft Landing

Home Style


Apartment Therapy
Design Sponge
Shelterrific

Art/Photography


Amy Ruppel
Boho Photography
Chromasia
Daily Dose of Imagery
Deceptive Media
Decor 8
Little Purple Cow Photography
Non dairy Diary
Not Martha
Photo Junkie
Piddleloop
Three Potato Four
Shutter Sisters
STC Craft
Tiny Showcase

Food


101 Cookbooks
Becks & Posh
Bitten
Chocolate and Zucchini
Chow
David Lebovitz
Delicious Days
The Domestic Goddess
Food Beam
My Vintage Kitchen
Orangette
The Perfect Pantry
The Post Punk Kitchen
Serious Eats
Smitten Kitchen
Vegan Yum Yum