Through My Lens

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All About Me

I was tagged for this meme by KVB-E. Enjoy! :)

10 years ago: I was a newly married girl (yes, a girl. I was 19.) and found myself in a strange new world called Baton Rouge. Huz and I were new Christians and ended up in one of the most fundamentalist Bible Colleges in the country. Sadly, we didn't know what a screwed up place we were in until 2 more years went by. Luckily, we got out of there and became progressive Christians who think for ourselves and are now truly free and happy in Christ.

File0017

5 years ago: I was working full-time, supporting Huz as he worked through grad school in Illinois. I was taking part-time college classes and was also enjoying the creative outlet of pottery class in my neighborhood community center in the evenings. I had a bunch of girlfriends from work, whom I affectionately called the "Ya Ya's," and we would go out for dinner and margaritas on a whim. We had great spontaneous fun together.

1 year ago: I had just moved from a third-floor apartment in Chicago to another third-floor apartment 2 buildings down the street. Why? Because our landlady had died and the newly sold building was going under construction. What a pain THAT move was, let me tell you! Down three flights and up three flights with all of our stuff! Ack. Our friends are truly friends because they helped us with that sucker! I was also finishing up my final year in college and had decided to quit my part-time job with an asshole lawyer I worked for in order to bump up my class load to 18 credit hours per semester. I did this so that I could graduate faster (my goal was to finish before I turned 30!) and to let Huz get on with his Ph.D. studies (he was now working full-time and supporting me through school).

Yesterday: Nothing terribly exciting. I blogged, checked email a few times, and packed up some books. I also played with Cambridge (of course) and gave her medicine two times for her eye (she's got a viral infection, but it seems to be finally clearing up). I applied for several jobs online, like I do every day, and started reading a novel I had neglected since my trip to Nashville. It's so well written; you really should read it. When Huz got home from work, we made dinner together and afterwards he studied German and I talked to my Mom on the phone.

Today: No plans today, I'm afraid. Normally I would be calling up friends and making lunch plans, but we're not used to being on only one income, so things are tight. So, I'll do some more packing, apply for more jobs, and cuddle with Cambridge. Of course I'll also wash dishes and make dinner. Ho hum. Boring life, eh? I guess it's the lull before the storm of moving to another state and finding a new job.

5 snacks I enjoy:
1. I really dig crunchy Cheetos. Sometimes I'll break down and buy them, but it's a rarity. But the cheesy goodness...how can I resist!?
2. I enjoy a snack that my Mom used to have when I was a kid, even though Huz thinks it's gross. Freeto's corn chips dipped in cottage cheese. Mmmmm. Try it before you judge!
3. Chips and salsa is always a good snack because we always have it in the house.
4. Leftovers are fine to snack on, like Margarita Watermelon. Oh yeah. Huz made this for my graduation party and it went over very well. There weren't leftovers from that, but I made some more for the 4th of July and am still finishing it up. If you're interested, I'll post a recipe for it.
5. As much as I kiss it, I should really add Cambridge's head to my snack list. Mmmmm...kiss...kiss.

5 bands I know the lyrics to:
1. Van Morrison (usually, but "I'm in heaven" does NOT sound English to me!)
2. U2
3. John Mayer
4. Jeb Loy Nichols
5. Guster

5 things I would do with a million dollars: I'm not convinced that I could actually do 5 things with a million bucks anymore. Once I buy a dream home and furnish it, there ain't much left! That would be the first thing I would do with the money, though. If anything was left over, I'd pay off my and Huz's school loans and then go to grad school without worrying about accruing more loans.

5 locations I would like to run away to:
1. Ghent, Belgium
2. Paris (if I won the money mentioned above, otherwise it's just too expensive!)
3. Alaska
4. Colorado (home sweet home)
5. New Zealand (no, I haven't been there, but LOTR has sold me on it)

5 bad habits I have:
1. Self-doubt
2. Picking my face (I'm getting better, though!)
3. Being quick to criticize others
4. Getting road rage
5. Telling Huz I love him all the time (that's not so bad, is it?)

5 things I like doing:
1. "Playing" with Huz (heh heh)
2. Laughing with friends
3. Entertaining people (throwing make-your-own-tamale parties, cocktail parties, and costume parties)
4. Making things (pottery, soap, lip gloss, lotion, candles, cards, food, photography, etc.)
5. Being outside (hiking, biking, boating, camping, etc.)

5 things I would never wear:
(I'm assuming this means in public.)
1. My birthday suit
2. Ugly shoes
shoes2shoes3
3. A midriff-baring shirt
4. A thong bikini (sorry, Huz!)
5. Anything even resembling 80s clothing

5 TV shows I like:
1. 24
2. Super Nanny (I'm taking notes for the future!)
3. West Wing
4. Cooking Under Fire (on PBS)
5. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (I cry every single time I watch it.)
6. It's not on anymore, but I loved the BBC version of The Office.

5 movies I like:
1. Breakfast at Tiffany's
2. Rear Window
3. The Sea Inside (it's a Spanish film and very touching)
4. Tortilla Soup
5. A.I.

5 famous people I would like to meet:
1. Freud (I'd ask him where on earth he got his Oedipal complex)
2. Foucault (he has some really interesting ideas about sexuality and society in general, but I'd need to sit down and talk to him about it, asking him to translate it all for me in simple English!)
3. Charlotte Perkins Gilman (pioneering feminist writer)
4. Virginia Woolf (powerhouse stream of consciousness writer and a feminist to boot!)
5. Brad Pitt (come on! I had to slip a non-intellectual in there somewhere!)

5 biggest joys at the moment:
1. My sweet cat who is curled up in the crook of my arm right now purring and kneading her paws. :)
2. My best friend and life mate, Huz.
3. Seeing the trajectory of my life - where I've been and how much I've progressed. The journey is only beginning!
4. The hope of a future family.
5. Friendships - though I leave some behind in Illinois, they will always be dear to me and we will keep in touch (right!?). I also look forward to making new ones in Nashville.

5 favorite toys:
This question sounds naughty to me. I'll leave it at that. :)

5 people to tag:
Whoever wants to! Maybe karnerblue, random9q, Stace, or IsaakGrrrl are game!?

[Editor's Note: Oops. I just noticed that it was 100 million dollars that I had to spend! Ok, then I would buy and furnish a dream home, pay off all debt, give some to my family, set up a college fund for my future children, and donate to some charities that focused on humanitarian needs, especially for women and children.]

Posted by Bird On A Line @ 8:13 AM
|

My Food Blog

Quesadillas and Drinks

Watching

Weeds
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
United States of Tara
So You Think You Can Dance
True Blood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Lost

Book Reading

Am


Was

Julie and Julia
Caramelo
Thirteenth Tale
Kite Runner
No Country For Old Men
The Road
What To Expect When You're Expecting
Water for Elephants
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Baby Wise
Norwegian Wood
Rabbit Redux
Rabbit, Run
Middlesex
On Beauty
Cement Garden
Eat, Pray, Love
Cute, Quaint, Hungry and Romantic: The Aesthetics of Consumerism
The History of Love
Pure Style Living
All The Names
Collage Discovery Workshop
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World
Fugitive Pieces
Couples
Taking Charge of Your Fertility
A 90 Day Guide...
The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
Fast Food Nation
The Reader
Angel's World
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Black Dogs
Enduring Love
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Atonement
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Postcards

Blog Reading


Blissful
Blue Poppy
Bookish Bent
The Burkerts 3
Colors of My Mind
Cool Hunter
The Craziness We Call Life
Creative Musings
Doahleigh
Dooce
Fickle Feline
Finslippy
The Forth Clan
Geek's Pensieve
Greeblemonkey
Green Genes
Holly Needs a Hobby
I Pretty Much Hate Everything
Inevitably Keely
Isoglossia
Jenski
Just Jenn
Mighty Girl
Mimi Smartypants
Modern Cottage
Mothers of Invention
My Head is Full of Stuffing
Nienie Dialogues
Pandlabroad
Possum Holler Press
Quarter Life Crisis
Sarcomical
Say It, Don't Spray It
Schmutzie
Self Passage
So Not Cool
Super Hero Journal
Tea and Brie
Three Girls and a Guy
Unfogged
Waiter Rant
Who Knew?
Whoorl
Wise Craft
Work It, Mom
You Go Grrrl

Kid Related


Baby Cheapskate
Cool Mom Picks
Green Mom Finds
Project Nursery/
Rookie Moms
The Soft Landing

Home Style


Apartment Therapy
Design Sponge
Shelterrific

Art/Photography


Amy Ruppel
Boho Photography
Chromasia
Daily Dose of Imagery
Deceptive Media
Decor 8
Little Purple Cow Photography
Non dairy Diary
Not Martha
Photo Junkie
Piddleloop
Three Potato Four
Shutter Sisters
STC Craft
Tiny Showcase

Food


101 Cookbooks
Becks & Posh
Bitten
Chocolate and Zucchini
Chow
David Lebovitz
Delicious Days
The Domestic Goddess
Food Beam
My Vintage Kitchen
Orangette
The Perfect Pantry
The Post Punk Kitchen
Serious Eats
Smitten Kitchen
Vegan Yum Yum